Monday, January 28, 2013

Timetables, Trips and Tin Whistles

First day of classes: check. It wouldn't be a very good "first day" of classes on the Emerald Isle without a little wind and rain! It does worry me, though, that when there is a gust of wind outside my room, my shades blow around. Clearly not sealed windows. I have adapted, somewhat, to the chill that is constantly here.

My first two classes today included Ireland: Revolution and Independence (one of my history classes!) and Irish Traditional Music and Dance (this should be a lot of fun, designed specifically for international students). My music and dance class is hopefully going to be one of my favorites: I signed up to learn how to play the Tin Whistle (also called a Penny Whistle). I wanted to try something I had never done before, and that I could keep learning after the semester is over. It does look like everything will take a little getting used to, schedule wise. There are up to three possible components to each course (called "modules" here in Ireland, and the schedules are called "timetables"): lecture, tutorial, and lab. Thankfully, I am only taking classes that have lectures and tutorials. Most only have one lecture a week, and one tutorial, but some of my modules have two lectures a week. The interesting thing is that there is one time for each course's lecture, but then many options for tutorials. So I worked it out that I have no classes on Fridays (more room to travel!). 

I signed up for three trips today! Two of them were only 7 euro, and definitely worth the money. One was a day trip to western Ireland, I can't recall the specifics, but there is a chance for some cave exploring and tourist sites. The other trip was to Dublin, to be taken whenever we want. This one includes food vouchers and museum passes, so should be fun to explore a little of Dublin on a free weekend! The third was a bit more expensive, but is already coming up this Saturday! It is to the Cliffs of Moher and Burron. I am really excited to see more of Ireland already! 

P.S. I finally remembered to take a picture of my house:
Home Sweet Home!

2 comments:

  1. Yessssss...Cliffs of Moher!! My favorite part of Ireland. Hopefully you get to climb a Burron hill too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice alliteration there.

    Looking forward to a youtube video of you playing the tin whistle!!!

    ReplyDelete