Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Module Shopping

Day two of class "shopping" completed. I am now VERY glad that they let us do this. I went to the Irish literature class I was going to take this semester. Let's just say, the room started out filled to capacity, with people literally sitting on the floor, and about 5 minutes in there was PLENTY of room. There were some implied prerequisites apparently. I probably would have been fine, it would have just taken a lot more work. 

So instead, I went to a class that I was more on the fence about (it fit into my schedule, but it was a sixth choice when we only take five classes). This one was an anthropology class (what they call the "culture" department), called "Cultural Studies 2: Language and Culture". Honestly, it is one of the courses I am most excited about now! It sounds really interesting, especially coming from the States, as we are going to talk about the differences in body language and cultural expectations  in the Irish culture, as well as in comparison to other parts of the world. It's basically a linguistic anthropology class, which Creighton doesn't offer, so it should be fascinating and different. I'll keep you posted on whether or not this class ends up being my favorite as we get further into the semester.

It is a big lecture class, and I didn't know anybody else (all my other classes I have at least one person I met this past week). I ended up sitting next to two international students from Spain. They are here for the whole year, so they have already been here for a semester, but it was fun talking to them about the class and Ireland in general (they are from the south of Spain, and therefore not quite used to the cold and rain). When they asked me what I was studying at home, I told them "It's a little hard to explain, but it is called Medical Anthropology." I was expecting to have to explain this in ways that they could understand (English obviously being a second language). As soon as I said it, though, they were both instantly like, "Yeah, bones and stuff." It was honestly the first time I didn't get a "What in the world is that?" I found it very amusing that those from Spain know more about it than people in the US. :)

Two more days of class "shopping" (I don't have any on Friday), still haven't been to European history and American Literature (that one should be entertaining :)). I think this semester is going to be a lot of fun, even class-wise ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment