Friday, February 8, 2013

Fraud Prevention and Spiders

Good news and not so good news. Good news first: I officially booked my trip to Budapest for March 8-10! I have paid for the tours, the hostels, etc. This good news is unfortunately connected to the bad news. Bad news: I tried to book the flight and my credit card was declined. This is the first major (and I mean major problem in my travels so far). I thought maybe I was just inputing the information wrong, but I tried many ways and none of them worked. I then tried using my card on another site, and it was declined there as well. This was relatively good timing for this to happen (I would have rather had it not happen at all, but), as I was able to pay for my student visa on Monday without any problems. So I am working (or trying to work with) the bank to get this all straightened out! I sent them a long and descriptive email about my problem (free of any expletives, I was very proud of myself). I am having my dad call them in person today to see if that will make it go faster. What makes me most angry is that I even contacted them to tell them I would be in Europe for four months, and they put a note on my account. I have online banking, and even that still says my card is active and there are no blocks on my account. Grrr! **Problem solved, hopefully. After searching for phone numbers and collect call numbers in order to find one that works, I finally was able to get ahold of the bank and get it all worked out. Talked to the fraud prevention department, had them put a real travel notice on my account, so I shouldn't have any more problems (fingers crossed)**

On a side note, I have had few interactions with the mysterious Irish lad across the hall. I finally met him, his name is Kevin. I don't actually run into him that frequently, surprisingly enough, but there was definitely reason to yesterday. I was sitting in my room, minding my own business, when I heard this noise. It was coming from the general direction of my radiator, so I looked over. To my horror, I watched as a huge spider stepped slowly across a piece of paper. Now, I don't have a major fear of spiders, and I don't have a problem with them when they are small. But this one was big, and had thick, scary legs! Legs and body combined, it was probably the same diameter as a shot glass. It thankfully stayed put for a while as I tried to figure out what to do. I decided I would ask Kevin to get rid of it for me. I opened my door and knocked hesitantly on his. He came to the door and I asked him, quite embarrassed at this point, "Strange question...I have this problem with spiders, and there is just this big one sitting near me. Could you possibly kill it or get rid of it for me? Please?" He looked at me as if I was slightly crazy, and kind of chuckled at me. He agreed nonchalantly, and I pointed at the spider for him (it was quite obvious where it was, but I felt I would help him out a little). I expected him to just pick up one of my shoes that was nearby and smash it, but no. I wasn't that lucky. Instead, he picked it up with his bare hand. It tried to scurry away at first, but he lunged and got it the second time. He then walked by me with it squirming in between his index finger and thumb. I watched as he just went back to his room. I don't even know what he did with it. It looked like he just put it down on his own radiator. Ew. Now I am all paranoid that these monster spiders are living everywhere in my room.

I also finally made plans to go to the grocery store today. I have been living off of bread, jelly (I ate all the peanut butter. whoops), noodles and cheese (I have made homemade macaroni multiple times), frozen pizzas and sandwiches, for the past three weeks now. It is time to actually go to the store. It is only about a 20 minute walk from my house, so it shouldn't be that bad. I just have to find a way to fit everything I need into two canvas shopping bags and a backpack. I'll maybe regret the whole walking thing later on, but it is basically my only option, and it is silly to pay almost two euro to take a bus for three minutes. There is also a possibility that I will be purchasing a few basic baking supplies that aren't provided here in our on-campus housing. They supplied: three different sized pots, a noodle strainer, a large glass bowl, one wooden spoon, one bread knife, one small ineffective knife, forks, butter knives, two different sized spoons, a cheese grater, a wine bottler opener, a potato masher, a whisk, two cutting boards, and assorted things I don't recognize. Missing from the list (insanely...): a baking sheet, a pizza cutter, and measuring cups and spoons. Let's just say, some interesting improvisation has been going on for three weeks. I might have to buy a baking sheet in case I want to make anything involving the oven...

2 comments:

  1. If you aren't baking anything that requires a large square pan, you can use the pots to make stuff in the oven! Ellie and I do it all the time. We've gone this whole year without buying a baking sheet! Haha. At least you have a cheese grater and a corkscrew. And of COURSE you have a potato masher....it is Ireland after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thinking! And the potato masher was a must have :)

      Delete